Psst..This challenge has already finished from March 2015. Feel free to use the prompt list below but prizes are no longer available! For the latest challenge details, click here.
There are only three days left in February, and I have been blown away by the response for the #BetterLetteringCourse Instagram Challenge.
In case you didn't know, for all 28 days of February, I challenged all the #BetterLetteringCourse students to practice their lettering every single day while I did the same, the incentive being this fun little lettering prize pack.
The result was over 2,000 (!!) posts with the #BetterLetteringCourse tag, and (even better) a whole community of creatives encouraging one another to improve their skills and stay accountable to their own art practice.
One student shared with me in an email:
“I’ve been wanting to make hand lettering and design a part of my practice for a while now, and it wasn’t until stumbling on your course (and for such an accessible price!) that I was able to actually do that. In just the past 19 days of your Instagram challenge, I’ve grown in confidence and loosened up in my practice. I used to get so frustrated and discouraged when a design wouldn’t turn out the way I imagined, but I’ve learned that there is space for practice as much for the actual work of designing a finished piece.”
I can't even begin to describe what those words mean to me because that was my entire intention behind doing this challenge.
It wasn't just to give away a prize - it was to provide an incentive for people to set time aside for their creativity and experience the magic that can happen when you commit to intentional daily practice (in anything, not just art!)
Many of you emailed in asking if there would be a March challenge, and given the positive energy created by February's challenge, it was a no-brainer to me to continue things in March, but I felt compelled to up the ante even more.
How could I make this challenge not just about improving one's art, but also improving one's self?
While I love hand-lettering and creating art, one thing that I love even more is helping people live as the brightest version of themselves. I believe that the first step to knowing what that looks like is going within and truly trying understand who you are as a person.
SO... for this March challenge, I'm combining my two loves: art and self-discovery.
At the bottom of this post is a list of 31 daily lettering prompts that will help you reveal a tiny piece of your inner being. Some are silly and simple, but others may require some deeper soul searching to come up with authentic answers. My hope is that with each small prompt, you're able to spend a few moments deepening the relationship you have with yourself.
As Aristotle once wrote:
“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.”
I believe that with all my heart, and I hope this challenge will help you get to know yourself better so that you can make decisions that will help you live your brightest life.
I also want to point out: I know the idea of sharing some of this personal stuff on Instagram can be uncomfortable. That's why it's not required for you to letter these specific prompts and share them in order to submit an entry to the contest, though I definitely encourage you to so because I think part of the power of this challenge is being able to share with the world who you are. It's that kind of vulnerability that can build up your confidence to project your most vibrant, authentic self.
Here are the official rules to enter the challenge (read carefully because there are some major differences from the February challenge!)
March Prize Pack Giveaway Details
Here’s how the challenge works:
Every day of March, post a photo of your lettering practice on Instagram using the Meet Yourself March prompt list below (I’ll be doing it as well, so you guys can follow my progress at @ckelso.)
Every day that you complete your practice counts as ONE ENTRY to win one of three Hand-Lettering Prize Packs that I’ve put together with all my favorite lettering goodies. (Max one entry per day for all 31 days of March.) So, the more days you practice, the more chances you have to win!
FOUR Simple Rules For Eligibility:
1. You can letter any word, phrase, lyric, sentence, etc., but it must be at least one word and the word(s) or phrases must be different every day of the challenge. I strongly hope you'll consider following the "Meet Yourself March" prompt list below, but it's not required. You can choose whatever subject you like.
2. You must include #BetterLetteringCourse in the photo of your piece (this is so I know you’re not pulling images from online or old artwork, etc. Feel free to make it small… I’m not trying to hash-tagify your pretty photos, I promise!)
** Not everyone followed this rule in February so please don't forget! I don't want artists with existing work to hijack the hashtag and take over contest entries; this giveaway is specifically for people who are practicing every day from the course. **
3. You must include #BetterLetteringCourse in your caption (so I can keep track of who's participating the in the challenge!) If you use the Meet Yourself March prompt list below, feel free to also share with the tag #MeetYourselfMarch (though it's not required!)
4. You must be a student of the #BetterLetteringCourse. If you haven't joined us yet, it's only $20 for lifetime access to all 15 videos, teaching you the basics of hand-lettering.
On April 3rd, I’ll randomly select 3 winners from all the contest entries and contact you through Instagram!
NOTE: Unlike the February challenge, you do not have to complete ALL 30 days in order to be eligible to win. However, the more days you complete, the more entries you'll have, meaning the greater your chances to win!
What do you win?
Hand-lettering prize pack including:
1. Whatever You Are Be A Good One (book of hand-lettered quotes) by Lisa Congdon (aff link)
2. Micron 6-piece Fine Line set (aff link)
3. Sakura Gelly Roll White 3-pack (fun for lettering on dark paper!) (aff link)
4. PaperMate Felt Tip Flair 12 pack (my very FAVORITE pens!) (aff link)
5. Mystery item from my absolute favorite store in Jacksonville, Florida: The Write Touch. Could be a journal, note cards, whatever, but they have the most fun paper goodies!
**In addition to the prize pack, each winner will receive two signed and framed original lettering pieces from me!**
Meet Yourself March Lettering Prompts
- Three words you'd use to describe yourself
- Three things that would make up your ideal morning
- One thing you're grateful for today
- One memory from your childhood that puts a smile on your face
- The name of one friend you truly sees the real you (tag them in your caption if you want!)
- One thing you could have done better today
- One thing that you love about yourself
- One bad habit that you want to break (bonus points: what you're going to do to break it!)
- One piece of advice you've give to yourself one year ago today
- One thing you're good at (your superpower!)
- Your favorite part of your body
- One negative thought that you're ready to let go of
- One skill or hobby you want to take up (bonus points: what are you gonna do to make it happen!)
- One thing that other people tell you you're good at
- One thing that lights you up on the inside or makes you feel joyful
- One thing in life that deeply moves you
- One way that you're holding yourself back from your full potential
- One idea you had that you never pursued
- One thing you've made that you're proud of
- One seemingly insignificant thing that brings you joy
- One area of your life that could use more attention/balance
- Your biggest victory in your life thus far
- One untruthful story that you often tell yourself in your head
- What do you want your contribution to others to be
- One of your biggest fears
- One activity that makes you feel powerful
- Your biggest goal for the upcoming year
- A silver lining you've found in one of your disappointments
- One time you gave up when you wish you hadn't
- Three things you value highly in your own life
- How do you define your own personal success
As you ask yourself these questions, once you come up with your answer, go one step further by asking yourself WHY. Why do you love that about yourself? Why is that your favorite memory? Why are you afraid of that thing?
The thread that runs through every happy, successful endeavor in my life is a self-knowledge and self-discovery. I'm wishing you both this March!
I hope this challenge improves your lettering skills, absolutely, but what's more - I hope it awakens you to your own authenticity. I hope you get to know yourself a little better, and I hope you find yourself encouraged by a community of creatives all doing the same.
Let's get REAL this month, friends!
If you want to share this challenge with friends, feel free to tweet below and tag them! The more, the merrier!