Psst..This challenge has already finished from May 2015. Feel free to use the prompt list below but prizes are no longer available! For the latest challenge details, click here.
Another month is creeping up on us and you know what that means - another monthly Instagram challenge!
As usual, I've been so blown away by all of the beautiful work you #BetterLetteringCourse students have been doing!
Here's a gallery of just a few of my favorite student pieces from the month so far, though I'm so impressed with EVERYONE!
So, you might be wondering... what's the big twist in May? Well... this next month, I'm challenging you (and myself!) to switch up your favorite medium!
That means that if you typically letter using the same go-to pens (in my case, PaperMate Flairs or Sharpies), then this is your opportunity to step outside your comfort zone and pick up a new medium!
While I absolutely believe that lettering is about finding your personal preference in tools, I also think it's important to expand your practice and to find new ways to consistently grow.
For myself, I'm going to try a medium I haven't worked with hardly at all - ink and brush pens.
The rules are largely the same as last month, and I'm not going to penalize you for using your old standard medium, BUT if you do decide to stretch your boundaries, please use the hashtag #NewMediumMay (in addition to your #BetterLetteringCourse tag) so that I can check out your brave new work!
As usual, prompt list is below and three lettering prize packs are up for grabs!
May Prize Pack Giveaway Details
HERE’S HOW THE CHALLENGE WORKS:
Every day of May, post a photo of your lettering practice on Instagram using the prompt list below. Simply interpret each word in any way you like (or just letter the word itself!)
Every day that you complete your practice counts as ONE ENTRY to win one of three Hand-Lettering Prize Packs that I’ve put together with some of my favorite lettering goodies. (Max one entry per day for all 31 days of May.) So, the more days you practice, the more chances you have to win!
FOUR SIMPLE RULES FOR ELIGIBILITY:
1. You can letter any word, phrase, lyric, sentence, etc., but it must be at least one word and the word(s) or phrases must be different every day of the challenge. The May prompt list below is encouraged, but it's not required. You can choose whatever subject you like!
2. You MUST include #BetterLetteringCourse in the photo of your piece (this is so I know you’re not pulling images from online or old artwork, etc. Feel free to make it small… I’m not trying to hash-tagify your pretty photos, I promise!)
** Please don't forget this one! I don't want artists with existing work to hijack the hashtag and take over contest entries; this giveaway is specifically for people who are practicing every day from this course. **
3. You must include #BetterLetteringCourse in your caption (so I can keep track of who's participating the in the challenge!)
4. You must be a student of the #BetterLetteringCourse. If you haven't joined us yet, it's only $20 for lifetime access to all 15 videos, teaching you the basics of hand-lettering.
On June 3rd, I’ll randomly select 3 winners from all the contest entries and contact you through Instagram!
NOTE: You do not have to complete ALL 30 days in order to be eligible to win. However, the more days you complete, the more entries you'll have, meaning the greater your chances to win!
What do you win?
A hand-lettering prize pack including:
1. Whatever You Are Be A Good One (book of hand-lettered quotes) by Lisa Congdon (aff link)
2. Micron 6-piece Fine Line set (aff link)
3. Sakura Gelly Roll White 3-pack (fun for lettering on dark paper!) (aff link)
4. Mystery item from my favorite store in San Diego, Pigment.
5. Tombow Dual Brush pens (assorted colors) (aff link)
Pin this image or save to your phone for an easy access prompt list!