Welcome to Soul Studies -- prompts and questions to explore CONFIDENCE in your life, business and creativity.
The goal of these emails is to help guide you in uncovering new insights in your life around this month’s theme of CONFIDENCE.
So… crack open that journal, play some soothing tunes, and take the next 15 minutes for YOU. Who knows what you’ll discover!
As you know, this month is all about exploring the idea of confidence. We’re investigating where it comes from, how you build it, and where to look for it when it seems to be missing in action.
For this first week’s prompts, I think it’s important that we focus first on the OWNERSHIP part of the confidence equation. I truly believe that nothing we discuss around the topic of confidence will be sustainable without this crucial piece of the foundation.
As I mentioned in the Editor’s Letter this month, we all want to believe that confidence will magically arrive from some distant planet, and that we’ll suddenly FEEL more capable. But unfortunately, that’s just not the case.
Confidence is not something granted to us; it comes FROM WITHIN US.
So this week, I want you to first acknowledge the ownership you have over your own life.
I want you to think of your life as a story and as yourself as the author. YOU hold the pen, no one else does.
And with that power comes a responsibility to yourself to have your own back. Once you claim that power, the next step is for you to make a decision to believe in your potential.
Even when you doubt your current capability, never doubt your potential -- your ability to improve, to grow, to become capable.
If you can start by believing in yourself, I promise you that seed of belief can grow into more confidence. But it can’t start from nowhere.
First, as always, let’s begin this month by taking inventory.
- In what areas of your life do you wish you had more confidence?
- What does confidence feel like? What does it feel like when you’re lacking confidence?
- What actions would you take if you felt more confident that you’re not taking right now in your life?
Now, here are some prompts to help you explore and solidify ownership of your life.
- Make a list of your strengths and the things you’re capable of doing (Remember, as Cheryl Strayed pointed out in the October Resource links, recognizing your strengths is key to building confidence over time.)
- If not you, WHO is responsible for the actions you take in your life?
- Write down the difference in feelings when you believe in yourself and your abilities, and when you DON’T believe in yourself and your abilities? Which feelings would you want more of in your life?
Now, complete these sentences:
- Even when I feel self-doubt, I know I have my own back because:
- I want to feel more confident in my ____________ because:
- I know I am capable of great things because:
I hope these prompts will help you feel empowered to take ownership over your life and your feelings. Next week we’ll talk about how to use that power and ownership to challenge your limiting beliefs and muster up the courage to push the boundaries of comfort to form new confident truths about your capabilities.
I'll see you next week!